Most busy professionals find that they barely have time to eat. So they end up skipping breakfast- first big No No and then eating at irregular intervals. This may be even worse for single busy professionals who find that they are microwaving processed food or eating junk food. The perception is that eating healthy costs either too much time or too much money.
In this article, we have some examples of healthy meal preparation while saving time and money.
No matter how busy you are, we do not recommend skipping breakfast in the morning. Breakfast is considered to be the most important meal of the day.
For breakfast in the morning, you may choose a cereal brand that has low sugar (if possible, no artificial sugar at all), high fiber and high protein. Most whole grain cereals fit this description.
Here are my quick meal favourites:
– Try a smoothie (Juiceplus Complete with an Innocent smoothie and Juiceplus Complete vanilla is my favourite)
– Grab a banana
– Toast a bagel with peanut butter and banana
During the day, let’s say that you have meetings all day and do not have time to eat at all. If that’s the case, you can bring some whole grain crackers, energy bar like a Naked Bar along with some fruit or a handful of nuts. So you can eat throughout the day when you get a 5-10 minute break between meetings. Finally, if you a get chance to get a longer break, you will finally be free to eat a good lunch.
– Salad to go (try your local M&S or Subway)
– Baked potato, low fat cottage cheese or beans
– Wrap with cheese and beans (less bread)
Let’s assume that you are exhausted at home and want to prepare a meal without cooking. An example of an easy meal would be a breakfast burrito with scrambled egg, salsa and cheese. If you add a sliced apple or orange to this meal, you will get vitamins and minerals from the fruits as well. This dinner will probably cost your about £5 per person or less.
– Nachos with low fat cheese and salsa
– Beans on toast (yes this old student favourite, but choose brown bread, Light beans with reduced sugar and salt)
– Omelette with peppers, mushroom & cheese
There are thousands of other ways to eat healthily on the run without spending a fortune. So it is not too late to transition to a healthier lifestyle even though you are busy or broke.